It is one of the 505 uninhabited islands in the Nagasaki Prefecture, 9 miles off the coast of Nagasaki.
Known for it’s coal mines, and their operations, Mitsubishi bought the island in 1890, and built the first large (9 stories) concrete block of apartments in 1916.
It stands empty today.
1960’s the coal mines began shutting down due to the advance of petroleum. The mine was officially closed in 1974.
It reopened to travel on 4/22/2009 after 35 years of closure.
It’s original name is Hashima Island, nicknamed during it’s hey day as Battleship Island because of it’s shape and resemblance. None of which has changed, except for it’s current abandoned nickname – Ghost Island.
In 2013, Google sent an employee to the island with a Street View backpack to capture its condition and allow users to take a virtual walk across the island. Google also used its Business Photos technology to let users look inside the abandoned buildings. The video is below.